Master’s in Literacy-Birth to 6 or 5-12 (SUNY New Paltz)
36 Credit Master of Science in Literacy
Grades B-6 or 5-12
**This program is only for those already possessing NYS Certification**
**This program requires a cohort of 12 students to start**
- Applicants must have NYS Initial or Professional Certification in Elementary Education (PreK-6, Grades 1-6), Secondary Education (Grades 7-12), Adolescent/Middle Grades Education (All Subjects), Special Education, Speech & Hearing Handicapped, Physical Education, Music Education, or Art Education.
- Applicants must have a combined GPA of 3.0or higher of all previous college course work.
- Applicants who do NOT hold Early Ed or Elementary/Childhood Ed Certification will be required to take an additional course (EED 523-Reading in the Primary Grades). You may confirm this with the college in advance of applying.
- GRE is required as of Spring 2016
- Complete an online admission application. (http://www.newpaltz.edu/graduate/online_directions.html) Print the last page (signature page) from the online application to sign and include in your application packet.
- Obtain one official transcript from each regionally accredited college/university you attended, including those from which you received University in the High School or transfer credits.
- Obtain three recent (within two years), appropriate letters of recommendation (at least one from a professor/instructor), on professional letter head supporting your potential to undertake graduate study. Click here for info and forms
- Compose a Graduate Admissions Essay that clearly addresses the following:
How have your previous experiences contributed to your decision to enter the program?
How will graduate study assist you in achieving your future career and educational aspirations?
What are your professional goals?
Your essay should be typed, double-spaced, and between 400-500 words. Since your essay provides us with a sample of your writing, it should reflect exemplary organization, writing style, and mechanics.
- Make a copy of your teaching certificate or print the page showing your certification(s) from your online TEACH account.
Send ONE PACKETwith all of your supplemental items (signature page, unopened transcripts, unopened letters of recommendation, essay, and proof of certification) to: The Graduate School, State University of New York at New Paltz, 1 Hawk Drive, New Paltz, NY 12561-2443.
- Develop a plan of study with an advisor upon filing for matriculation.
- Complete no more than 6 credits of course work toward the degree before matriculation.
- Complete prescribed course work and other requirements within the time assigned by the New York State Certification Office.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA average of 3.0 or better with no more than two grades below B-.
Specific course requirements are listed at http://www.newpaltz.edu/elementaryed/ms-in-literacy-education/